Friday, July 18, 2014

Moneyball
[Billy Beane (Brad Pitt) is the general manager of the Oakland A's.  They just lost 3 great players from their line up because they were unable to offer them as much money as the Boston Red Soxs, or New York Yankees]
(edited to eliminate a cuss word)
Billy Beane brings up a great point that often times we forget.  We get so bogged down by our circumstances, and we think we know exactly what we need.  The guys in the room are very skilled at baseball knowledge.  They know a lot of what they think they need to do.  I can be very knowledge about my job as a minister of the Church, but sometimes I can fail to see the real problem, just as the men in the room were failing to see the real problem.  

Often times we look at our life in a way that these guys do in the room, if only we do this, or that then we will have a good team.  We look with a "if only" mentality.  I do this all the time so I know how easy it is to fall into it.  If I only I can get more kids to youth group, if only I could work an hour longer, if only I get that promotion.  These do not hit at the problem.  Thankfully I have people in my life who are like Billy Beane, and remind me of what the problem is.  They are the people who help us take a step back and actually look at the full situation not part of it.  

How many times do we plunder away at trying to button down this side of the tarp only to realize after we are done the other one is now undone?  It is racing around putting out fires, rather than stopping and asking how are the fires starting in the first place.  We need to often step back and look at the big picture of life.  What is it that we truly need in life?  If I get that promotion, will my life really be any more fulfilled?  If I get that nicer car, will life be better?  Our life can only find mean in the Presence of Another.  If we do not step back and actually look at the problem then we will claim to be Christian, but forget Christ.  As is stated later in the film "You're goal shouldn't be to buy players, but to buy wins, and to get wins, you need runs."  Our goal should not be tasks, but our goal should be seeking Him.  If we forget that goal we need to remind ourselves of the bigger picture, Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment