Friday, November 7, 2014

Saved
[Mary a girl at a christian high school has gotten pregnant, and has stopped being as involved as she once was, so her friends try an intervention.]
How often have we been Hilary Faye (Mandy Moore)?  We think we know what is best for our friends.  We think we know love because we can quote Scripture in and out, or that we follow all the rules.  When we become this kind of Christian we are being the older brother in the parable of the Prodigal Son. We think that it is about following rules, or about being in the Father's house and toeing the line.  But we forget that God wants our hearts, not just our rule following.

Now I am not encouraging people to break the rules, but ask yourself why are you following the rules?  Are you following the rules so that you can be better than somebody else?  Do we use the Bible as a weapon to put others down?  "Stop judging, that you may not be judged." Mt. 7:1  Why is is that we judge so often?  We almost think that the people who go to hell are those that I am compared to.  We constantly want to put a sliding scale for Jesus to judge us, "well I'm not as bad as that guy" or "I am just as good as that girl."  God does not judge us according to others, but rather according to what has been allotted to us, and according to His Divine justice.  The beauty though is that we must realize that we all fall short.  We all have sins, and we cannot make it on our own.  This is why Pope Francis stated in an interview "who am I to judge?"  I struggle with sins, and so do you whether you admit it or not.  

There is a reason why Jesus ate with tax collectors and prostitutes, they recognized their sin, their lack, their NEED for a savior.  It is the Pharisees and Sadducees that did not need a savior.  If you don't want help, how can anyone help you?  If you don't think you are ever sick, will you ever go to a doctor?  No.  Hilary Faye doesn't think their is anything wrong in her life, so she seeks to bring her friend Mary back to her perception of good and evil.  Hilary Faye doesn't know love because "If I speak in human and angelic tongues...And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains...If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." 1 Cor. 13:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment