Friday, March 27, 2015

Amazing Spider-man
[Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) had been beaten up, and made fun of earlier in the film by Flash.  Now that Peter Parker has power (becoming Spider-man), it is his turn to turn the tables.]

Have you ever been in a situation like this?  Have you ever been where you have the upper hand, the power to change and hurt the aggressor that had hurt you earlier?  If so, what did you do? I think this reveals the true nature of our character.  When you are being bullied, and the roles are reversed, what would you do?  Are you going to respond as the bully did to you?  

This makes me think of a powerful quote: "There but by the grace of God, go I."  That quote reminds us that we should not be so quick to judge, and so quick to state that they deserve what they got.  Does Flash really deserve the humiliation that Peter does to him?  When we are placed in the same situation as the bully are we going to be a worse bully?  It really does make me stop and think about what I would do if I had the power to shape the world as I see fit.  


Another quote that is so often associated with Spider-man is, "With great power comes great responsibility."  Do we hold to that?  Do we acknowledge that those who have more power, those placed in positions of authority have a responsibility?  "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you realize that we will be judged more strictly" James 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment